Wednesday, January 18, 2012

To be totally honest, I'm drawing a blank.  I'm having one of those blocks I guess.  I blame the good episode of Harry's Law.  Although not the first time I've seen the twins passing as one woman gig...there was a similar story line on CSI: Miami (I think) awhile back with triplets posing as one wife too.  But hey, I guess it must be good TV, here I am watching, attempting to post.

OK - a commercial - better hurry! I am quite spoiled lately.  It's somewhere between 8 and 9 PM and I am in my bed, with my laptop watching TV.  I can not explain how rare that is.  But, its not pure bliss.  My prosthetic must've been on just slightly turned a little today because there is a terrible sore on the back side that is causing me some fairly intense irritation/pain. 

Last night I was up WAY to late on facebook.  Like most of you, I have seen the posts and petitions on facebook requesting a bald barbie.  I thought the "home made" baldie I had seen attached to some of the posts was a little frightening.  And I didn't pay much attention after that.  Afterwords I thought, that must be exactly how the kids felt.  Not just my kids, but my daycare kids, and my kids' friends and all the other kids who I caught staring at me without a single hair on my body. 


In a short amount of time the American Cancer Society got wind of this.  I would post their address to the issue here, but it's quite long so I will give you the link. There are SO many comments made in this article by the author that made my blood boil.  As an adult woman with children of my own, who suffers from a pediatric cancer at a young age, I am beyond appalled.  I have so much anger for the person who wrote this.  It is clear to me that they have not personally felt what a cancer diagnosis does to you. 

A very wise woman I know (who is a 20+ year Stage IV breast cancer survivor) said that you are never cured.  You always have a cancer cell or two in your body, that's why your odds of getting cancer again are so much higher than other's. 

~~Ok, I just checked the article to make sure that I wasn't misstating something.  And the ACS has removed the article and replaced it with an apology. You can still read through the several hundred comments to see the gist of the original post. To my recollection there were comments about how making the barbie would not help childhood cancer but rather make it worse.  He (the author) sighted examples such as over awareness in breast  cancer in things like how the general market place is inundated with pink stuff and how awareness has created mass hysteria because there are women who will hear they have pre-cancerous cells and will immediately go in for a double bilateral mastectomy (Both breasts taken completely off) and other such things.  I also felt that weather it was the intent of the author or not, he significantly downplayed childhood cancer by calling it "rare".  Unfortunately there was much more, but I have spent nearly twenty four hours trying to get it out of my mind. 

Thankfully someone at ACS had enough sense to have the article removed.  However, the so called apology does not make me feel any better.  And I seriously doubt I will continue to contribute time or money to the ACS. There are tons of other reputable and honest charities out there fighting for awareness, fundraising for a cure and supporting families in ANY capacity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment