Thursday, January 12, 2012

Is it a conspiracy around here??

Before we put the house back together after the fire we made a few changes that would help aid in my disability. (I think that's the first time I've ever called it that...) We removed doorways, finally added that built in dishwasher, and lastly gave up our entry closet to a new laundry room. 

The more open concept has been better than we expected.  The dishes still fill up in the sink, but at least I don't waste at least a half hour of my very precious time every single day begrudginly washing that sink full.  I simply put them in the dishwasher and 5 minutes later - done! (Sort of...there's always at least four dirty dishes in this house, so they're never all clean.)

The laundry....now that's a totally different story.  I remember when I was younger and single. I changed my clothes a lot.  I mean, you have your laying around the house clothes, your work uniform, your going out with friends outfit...so I had a lot of laundry.  However, I was still able to maintain one wash day.  Then, my now husband entered the picture.  He didn't change his clothes as much, but there was obviously still more to do.  I switched my laundry day to a, whenever-a-load-needs-to-be-done policy. 

Then we started having kids.  Oh my Lord! I recall thinking, how can such teenie tiny clothes, even in multiples, amount to so much more laundry? I adjusted and even almost rather enjoyed it.  In fact, I've never really despised laundry.  But I can easily see how one comes to this mind-set.  

I have done away with one laundry day, and the as-needed system is still partially in effect. Except that it has left me nearly constantly doing laundry.  So here's what happens in our house; I wash a load, and then another and possibly even a third.  But at this point I don't have enough space to keep the clean laundry separate from the still dirty laundry.  Sure the clean clothes are in baskets and the dirty clothes are still on the floor. But I guess somehow the other members of my family still confuse what is clean and what is dirty. 

So then I transfer the clean clothes baskets to my bedroom (its right off the laundry room - intentionally done on my part for convenience... maybe I didn't think that through entirely ;) )  That temporarily fixes the problem.  However as the week goes on and this system continues, I find that eventually I have a small meandering path through my bedroom.  This is not desirable for me. So I give in and devote as much time as needed to finish whatever loads are still dirty, sort, fold and probably even put away each and every single article. 

FINALLY!! It is done! What a relief! I mean, I actually feel better! Like I can breathe easier and I am considering even inviting someone over! I go out to the living room to sit down in the chair to rest and re-live my victory.  Uh-oh...whats that laying on the floor? Emma's socks and Olivia's sweater? Ugh...guess the laundry is never actually done around here either! But I am still smiling! Why? Because first, I am lucky enough to be able to do my own laundry and two, its good job security.

No comments:

Post a Comment