Thursday, February 16, 2012

Typed Misunderstandings

I just feel the need to vent a little.  I was going through my daily massive overload of emails.  And I came across one with a subject that read: "your messy house is sickening! (Literally)" I did not open it.  I realize it came from a health company and I'm sure they were merely trying to promote some sort of "healthy" purifier something. 

Even still, as a corporate company, I expect them to monitor their words better.  Technology is a huge plus for my generation.  In fact, I don't know what I'd do without it! I almost never use a phone to talk anymore.  And I rely on the interent as my main point of contact with everyone - even my parents.

But what am I often reminded of is that typed words do not carry enough or correct emotion at times.  Everything can easily be taken out of context and misunderstood.  Unfortunately, it is not easy to recover from another person misunderstanding your email or text.  And sometimes by the time it's realized, it's probably to late to repair the damage anyway.

That being said,  I would still rather spend an hour on the computer typing my messages out to everyone I need to correspond with than 2 or 3 hours on the phone trying to get ahold of everyone.  But next time you feel upset by somethind you read, I encourage you to stop, breathe and consider putting yourself in the other person's shoes.  Are they just doing their job? Are they doing the best they can? Or is there something else going on in their lives that you have no idea about?  Everyone has a burden to carry.  I wish this world would remember that on more of a daily basis.  I sure could use the benefit of the doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment